Wednesday 26 September 2012

A passion for flowers - 'Passion Flowers'

Being a botanical artist I obviously have a passion for flowers as well as other botanical subjects.  Over the last few years I have concentrated on native wild plants, fungi and 'scraps of nature' as I call them.

Recently, I have been thinking about painting more exotic plants.  This motivation has come from spending time at RBGE and being fascinated by the plants in their glasshouses.  When I was there in July two Passion flowers were in bloom, and when I returned for the graduation a couple of weeks ago, another beauty was also 'showing off'.

 
Passiflora vitifolia
 

Passiflora alata x caerulea
 
 
 
Passiflora sp
 

 
Passiflora caerulea
 
 
The last two images are of a Passion flower growing in our garden.  We have totally re-landscaped our small garden, and one of the plants that I have always wanted to have is a Passion Flower.
 
I bought a small straggly specimen in the Spring and nurtured it back to health and now we have a wall completely covered with it, buds and blooms galore with just one fruit.
 
Perhaps this will have to be my next painting ?
 
 
In the meantime, I have started teaching a course and workshops at Peter Symonds College ACE in Winchester.  11 students have enrolled which is great and our first session seemed to go very well on Monday.  Teaching for just two hours each week is very different to teaching day-long workshops, but I am looking forward to enjoying the student's progression as we travel through the next 9 weeks.
 
I had finished the Quail's Eggs painting.  Some of you may have seen it on the 'Natures Details' Facebook page, but here it is again for those of you that haven't.
 
 
I now have a Facebook page devoted totally to my artwork - why not have a look ?
 

 
Happy painting !

2 comments :

  1. Beautifully exotic photos Sarah. You will definitely have to have a go at painting some of these.Just as long as the weather hasn't flattened them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The eggs are fabulous, such lovely patterns to paint. Your art class looks great, drawing natural objects it reminds me of when I was teaching o level and had to inspire my pupils and I always chose interesting objects for them.

    ReplyDelete

It is always lovely to hear your comments. Please feel free to leave them here and I will approve them asap.