Wednesday 8 February 2012

Allium lino-cut


In July I visited my friend's farm in Devon.  In her vegetable garden were some onions that had some flowering tops emerging.  I just loved the way they all stood at different angles and the character of each flower head and how the delicate paper-like sheath was coming off of some of them.


  


Over the last couple of weeks I have been trying to decide how to portray them - the delicate detail of the flower heads lend themselves to watercolour, but their structure has persuaded me to create a
lino-cut of them.

Above is the first preliminary sketch with the main subjects that I want to include.  I have tried to keep it simple too.  I may even include some other plants in the design too - Fennel comes to mind.


The following pictures are from the veg garden on a sunny July day last year.



No comments :

Post a Comment

It is always lovely to hear your comments. Please feel free to leave them here and I will approve them asap.