Monday 24 March 2014

Something a little different ..... using fabric

I always love reading Milly's blog Drawings from Nature and I also enjoy how she combines her artwork and her marvellous sewing skills. 

Her latest blog post describes how she makes a very pretty bag and adds one of her Hare prints to the fabric.

This reminded me of a form of bag that I made a couple of months ago.  I too have a love of needlework, but always feel the guilt that I am neglecting my drawing and painting, and also of course there just doesn't seem to be the time now I am teaching.

Whilst visiting a popular Swedish home store, I always love rummaging through the fabrics with their wonderful array of colours and prints.  I came across the fabric seen in the image below and just had to get some.  At that stage I didn't know what I was going to use it for !

 
 
It seemed so apt for my interest in the natural world, and having a navy background with white prints of natural objects, meant that the latter were nice and clear to see.
 
But what to make ?????
 
I decided to make a bag / pouch for my much treasured Stillman and Birn A4 Zeta sketchbook.  It will help to protect it on its travels too.
 
 
 
To add a bit of colour I used green thread in my sewing machine and I also found a button in my collection as well as some green tape, which I used for the button loop and it also added a nice contrast.
 
I think every now and again, I'll have a break from my normal creative streak and diversify into other crafts - it can be a refreshing break.  What next may you ask, well the next project involves a wooden box, some wood glue and varnish.  So all I can say is 'watch this space !'
 
Happy creating in whatever your interest may be !
 


2 comments :

  1. This looks great, I must check out that popular Swedish store for some of this myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a seriously gorgeous fabric!!!

    ReplyDelete

It is always lovely to hear your comments. Please feel free to leave them here and I will approve them asap.